So you’ve done the research or maybe you’re still deciding if a pet chinchilla (or two) is the right addition for your family. In addition to picking out a chin to buy or adopt and then selecting the perfect name, you’re also going to need to buy a lot of supplies before you bring your new pet home. We’ve compiled this list to make it easy to see what you need for your pet chinchilla.
Use this checklist as a guide. If there are any supplies or chinchilla accessories you’re missing, click the link to see our chinchilla-safe product recommendations.
Note: All of these supplies are going to cost a pretty penny. If you cannot afford to buy all of these things before you bring home a new pet chinchilla, you cannot afford to have a chinchilla. If you’re still considering whether a chinchilla is right for you, take a look at this list and add up the costs for each item.
Chinchilla New Owner Checklist
Chinchilla Must Have Supplies
These are the things that you need to have in your home the day you bring your new chinchilla(s) home. If you don’t have these basic chinchilla supplies, you aren’t ready for your new pet.
- Cage (Replace any plastic shelves)
- Ledges and Shelves (wood or metal)
- Chinchilla House or Hideout (wood or metal)
- Food Bowl (ceramic or metal)
- Water Bottle (glass is best)
- Chinchilla Food & Hay (Click through to see recommended healthy options for chinchillas. Do not buy foot with seeds, dried fruit, or colored pieces.)
- Dust & Bath Container
- Toys & Chews
- Pet Carrier
- Exotic Vet Phone Number and Address
- Chinchilla First Aid Kit
Optional Chinchilla Supplies
These are the supplies and accessories that are nice to have but are not crucial to your chinchilla’s care and well-being. Buy them as you see a need.
- Hay rack
- Fleece Hammock or Bed
- Exercise Wheel (metal wheels over 15″ diameter only)
- Litter Box – Some owners like to litter train their chinchillas.
- Travel Cage
- Treats (Healthy treats only. No dried fruit, raisins, or nuts.)
- Chinchiller or Cooling Stone
- Playpen – helpful for creating a chinchilla safe space to let your pet out for playtime.
- Pet Sitter Phone Number
- Broom and Dust Pan – for sweeping up scattered hay, pellets, and poo
- Vacuum – Handheld or shop vac helps for quick cleaning
Free Printable: New Owner Checklist
Download and print this free checklist to take with you to the pet store. Easily check off each chinchilla supply as you buy it and keep track of what you need. (Right click “Save Link As” to download to your computer.)
While your shopping for chinchilla supplies, make sure to avoid these 10 things you should never buy for chinchillas.